Tuesday, February 7, 2012

All You Need Is Love: Capturing Love



I'm super excited to contribute to the All You Need Is Love blog link up!  (If you haven't already done so, click on the banner above and check out the other posts that have already been written - super fun!)  Meg of Moments Like This was great to organize a great selection of ladies to showcase the expression of love and I'm happy to be a part of it.

First off, kudos to this guy for his help:

All You Need Is Love

Jeromy gave me the idea to do this and came along for moral support.  I couldn't ask for a better husband and I know that his participation in this (and all my other shenanigans) is an expression of his love for me. 

I love photography.  I love people.  I love love.  And I love making others feel good.  A street photography project combined all of these and was something I had never tried before.  We set out to downtown Fort Worth last week.  It was windy, chilly, and was kinda sparse.

All You Need Is Love All You Need Is Love

The premise?  I asked people this question:

"What is your favorite thing about each other?"

And they would write their answer on a notepad for a photo.  (Note to self: bring along thicker markers next time.)  After that, I snapped a picture of them together and left them with a thank you card that included contact info to download their pictures. 

Easy enough.  But only not so easy.

As mentioned before, there were less people downtown than I thought there would be.  And a lot of people give stink eye are a little suspicious of a stranger with a camera offering to take their photo out of nowhere.  I really wanted to find some wise older couples to participate, but all the ones I asked were not up for it.  Bummer.

The upside?  The people we came across that were game were REALLY awesome and sweet. 

Our first beautiful couple was so so so gracious.  After getting turned down by others, they were my first "yes" and gave me a hope that this could work.  They weren't sure what to write at first, but I loved their answers.  I think they are gorgeous and love the vibe I got from them.  Funny thing... they left us walking closer together than they were when we approached them.  I told Jeromy that it was proof of the power of a compliment and celebrating the good things about each other.  Him:  "her smile."  Her:  "sense of humor."  Adorable couple.

All You Need Is Love All You Need Is Love

When we saw these fabulous ladies leave the Jubilee Theatre, I knew I had to catch a pic of them.  They are part of a "red hat" club and had just seen a performance together.  AWESOME.  I hope that I have that kind of relationship with my friends through all seasons of my life.  These lovely women were so willing for a group photo.  When I asked two to write down their favorite things about their group, they both wrote "sisterhood" without knowing that the other had written it.  One changed her answer to "togetherness."  You can't get better than that.

All You Need Is Love All You Need Is Love

I spotted a stunning lady out of the corner of my eye and told Jeromy that we needed to follow them.  Much to my joy, she and her sweetie agreed to our activity.  It was sooo cute because they both sat for a few minutes trying to choose just one thing to write.  I could tell these two truly enjoy each other and have passion in their relationship.  Playfulness and pure joy appears to come easy to this couple and I think it's a wonderful quality to have and maintain in any dynamic.  Him:  "adventurous." Her:  "likes to party."  Cute cute cute!

All You Need Is Love All You Need Is Love

We happened to catch a special event with our last couple... their last pre-baby date!  She was nine months pregnant and they were out for a fun evening together before becoming parents.  How cool is that?!?  Sidenote: she looked incredible to be so far along - breathtaking/glowing actually.  I'm so thankful that they weathered the chill to participate in this.  Their excitement about their little bundle was infectious and it brought back sweet memories for Jeromy and I.  We wish them all the best with the arrival of their baby and know that the new little person will be such a blessing.  Our daughter has brought us delights would could have only dreamed of.  Him:  "her smile."  Her:  "his silliness."  (Maybe their precious baby will receive both of these traits?) 

All You Need Is Love All You Need Is Love

So there you have it - a snapshot of relationships and the good things we can rejoice about one another.  I hope that we can all broadcast similar feelings to our loved ones frequently.  The power of edifying words and actions go a long way in spreading love.  A special thanks again to everyone who participated and didn't think Jeromy and I were total creepers (photos can be downloaded from my Flickr page).

We concluded our little jaunt by stopping by the Cupcakery and picking up some treats for friends... yum (trying to be good...I only ate half of one)!  Be sure to check out the All You Need Is Love page again on February 9th for the next installment.  Have a great week!

All You Need Is Love All You Need Is Love

6 comments:

  1. AHH!! THIS IS SO PERFECT! I tip my hat to you and your husband for having the gusto to approach people. I don't know if I could do it on my own, but with my husband (who is a people person) maybe I could.

    I LOVE all these pictures but my favorite one is the group of women. They are so beautiful and look like they could tell you about all life's lessons over a good meal.

    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just awesome Mandy! Thank you for the reminder to stop and think about my what I love...I do believe I can take on the world now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute idea! I love it - and I never would have been brave enough to do it. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea! I love it. I'm inspired to develop a photo project with my hubby to get myself out on the town to photograph like you did. Maybe that could be another blog challenge! Oh MY... look at the inspiration you're giving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is so fun... i love the red hat ladies!!! kudos for bravery!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Mandy and Jeromy! Hope y'all know I like to keep up on your "antics," and this is pretty much awesome! You should do another one in spring or early summer to get some more people! :)

    ReplyDelete